Sound Story Spotted!
Evening Upper Media Siders, you know who it is, it's your favorite Media Studies site with more information than ever.
Over the past week, I got to work with fellow Media Studies Siders to create our very own sound story! Although creating a sounds is very fun, it it can be very difficult to create it perfectly without distortion and zero background noises. Sarah Sanabria, Emily Wall, the media studies siders I worked with, and I made a great team because we all brought ideas to the table and communicated well to make sure that we were all on the same page for what we wanted to create and how we wanted it to sound. Before I continue writing about anything, take a listen to our completed sound story right below ↓
What did you think? What were some of the things you were imaging in your head as you listened? Well, if you guessed the events of what seems like a normal trip in the car, the character on their way to work, until the unexpected occurs. They walk to their vehicle, keys in hand, and put them into the ignition. The driver originally puts on her seatbelt but finds it uncomfortable so she decided to take it off. The music on the radio begins to play, but suddenly, a horrific car accident takes place with a loud commotion. The character left with no choice but to scream for help. Sirens sound, but the audience is left to wonder whether or not the character made it…, then you are right!!
The making of the sound was a a little complicated because we couldn't record some of the audios when we had the chance to record them at school! Nonetheless, we still got to record some of the main sounds like footsteps leading to the car and keys jiggling. For the others videos, my brother recorded them for me while I used the memos app on the phone to capture the sound. You can actually see us creating the sounds! The video is going to be right below ↓
1. The first sound we created were foot steps as if the character was "walking to their car." in order to make sure the sound was nice and crispy, Sarah walked in place and I covered the mic a little bit so that the wind would not disrupt the sound. This sound was pretty easy to capture and took very little time.
2. The second sound my team and I captured was keys moving around. This was probably the easiest sound to make because all we had to do was move the keys directly on top of the phone/ mic. When I added to the final sound, I layered the keys and the walking together to make it seem more realistic and flow better.
3. Now for the actual car sound!! first up was me pressing the key so that the car would be unlocked and make that "unlocking sound". I had my key in on hadn't, and my phone is the other to capture it.
4. Next up was opening the car door, sitting down in the seat, and turning the car on. This was my favorite sounds to capture because with just the audio, you can clearly imagine in your head that it's a person opening a car door and starting it. There was a bit of an echo when filming but i honestly thought it made it sound better and realistic.
5. At this point, I took some some audios from the internet to make the sound story flow and have a tilting point in climax. The seatbelt audio is representing the character putting on her seat belt and then taking it off to symbol that she doesn't car about safety.
6. Now is the point where the character turns on the radio. (which is the actual audio of me personally turning it on and raising the volume) and then BOOM, a car crash sound.
7. The car crash sound was taken off of youtube. what I did was, layer it on top of the song playing o the radio. (which is good 4 u by Olivia Rodrigo) and have it work together to make the experience for realistic.
8. Then comes the "Help" and the loud breathing sounds. These sounds were added to make the story more interesting and let the people who are listening understand, the character got in her car, didn't put her seat belt on, started listening to the music, and then out of nowhere, crashes into another car. Help and Lou breathing noises add suspense and mystery because the reader is left wondering if she will make it out alive or not.
9. Lastly, noises of a police car and fire truck are added to make the suspense even bigger and leave the viewers wondering, what's going to happen next!!
Overall, the experience of creating these sounds, researching for them on the web, and editing them all together to make the perfect story was very exciting and fun to do! I am so glad that we got the opportunity to create this!!
Comments
Post a Comment